Have a private question or comment?

Email me I would love to know your feedback for this site or let me know what I can research for you. Happy to help in any way I can! Click the link or copy and paste babyblueinbangkok@gmail.com

Saturday 30 July 2016

Knocked up...now what? Pregnancy Tests

So you've managed to get yourself pregnant, at least you think you are, but now what...

Firstly, congratulations!!! Secondly, don't panic! Thirdly, if all you can think about is having a drink to calm your nerves then go ahead (I won't tell anyone). Fourthly, are you sure you are pregnant? Have you pee'd on a stick? Have you pee'd on an English stick or a Thai stick? Have you had a blood test to confirm?

Lets start talking about the practicalities.

Pregnancy tests

Urine Tests

Average Pee Sticks are available in all Pharmacies.

My experience is that Boots tend to only stock their own brand and one called "Exact Pregnancy Test" whilst you may find a different selection in more local pharmacies.

But the problem with Thai tests are that they are not as sensitive as you can get back home. There is no such thing as "First Response" here.


Brand Sensitivity Cost (THB)
Exact over 25mlU/ml 120
Boots over 25mlU/ml 120
Check Tru (Ovulation and Pregnancy test) over 20mlU/ml 270
First Response over 6.3mlU/ml Not available in Thailand

So you will have to wait a little longer to be sure, or you can easily get a blood test done at any health clinic. 

Blood Tests

It is as simple as walking in, asking for a blood test to confirm your hcg levels and within a few hours they will email you the results.

I have used:

RSU at 571, RSU Tower, Sukhumvit Soi 31.
They charge THB 900 per test (in 2015)

Wellness Clinic at Interchange Building, Asoke. 
They charge THB 600 per test (in 2016)

You can also get an HCG test done at any of the hospitals, but they will likely charge you minimum THB1,000 plus doctors consultation time.

If you are are using an independent clinic before you choose your antenatal provider then you may also need some help and reassurance on understanding HCG tests. I used this website to help understand the basics. http://www.babymed.com/tools/hcg-calculator





3 comments:

  1. Try our conception calculator and get advice about conception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    more info

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a dearth of simple, stylish maternity clothing there is. Just because I'm pregnant certainly doesn't mean I want to start wearing floral fucking wrap dresses, nor do I want to spend money on things I'll wear for just 6 months. As a result, I've tried to minimise what I've purchased and hope that I don't have to buy too much more.

    http://www.bluesupplement.com/womens-multivitamin/

    ReplyDelete